GarciaLive Vol. 6 - Lion's Share
San Anselmo, CA
Jul 5, 1973
Stream This Show
- Watch exclusive Livestreams.
- Stream professionally-mixed concert audio.
- Watch archival concerts on-demand.
- Unlock member discounts, giveaways, and more.
- Volume Six showcases Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders’ July 5th, 1973 performance at the Lion’s Share in San Anselmo, CA. Recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson just five days prior to the seminal performances celebrated on the Live at the Keystone series, GarciaLive Volume Six highlights a particularly adventurous evening at the Lion’s Share, a 200 capacity club known for its vibrant music scene which drew regulars like Janis Joplin, Phil Lesh, Van Morrison, and many others. The club’s intimacy can be felt throughout the recordings as the band, rounded out by John Kahn on bass and drummer Bill Vitt, frequently launch into extended improvisations fueled by the exchange of energy with the audience. The blistering She’s Got Charisma -> That’s Alright, Mama, which clocks in at over 31 minutes long, “starts off innocently in familiar blues territory, but very quickly deconstructs into fragmentation and exploration, defying both gravity and expectation at the same time” as writer Benjy Eisen eloquently describes in the releases’ liner note essay. The presence of an unidentified guest on trumpet during the band’s second set adds to the freedom and looseness found within the performance. The guest trumpeter is felt most during extended takes on My Funny Valentine and Merl’s Tune, both easy highlights of the entire evening.
Grateful Troy — 2/19/2024 12:26:12 PM
"The keys are incredibly funky paired with Jerry's guitar and it's honestly a beautiful sound ?? "
Setlist at GarciaLive Vol. 6 - Lion's Share, San Anselmo, CA on Jul 5, 1973
Start a free trial now to get unlimited streaming of professionally mixed audio and high-quality video. Paid subscribers get access to exclusive livestreams and more.