Jimmy Stewart 2007
Stream This Show
- Professionally mixed soundboard audio
- Full-concert video archives available on-demand
- Complimentary exclusive livestreams
- Discounts on paid livestreams, CDs, and Downloads
1) Mulche's Odyssey - 2.27.07 - Norfolk, VA
2) Mulche's Odyssey - 10.20.07 - New York, NY
3) E.T.I. - 5.05.07 - Dallas, TX
4) The Crooked One - 4.19.07 - Buffalo, NY
5) Utopian Fir - 7.19.07 - Detroit Lakes, MN
6) The Fuzz - 10.16.07 - Richmond, VA
7) The Bottom Half - 3.16.07 - Pontiac, MI
8) Utopian Fir - 11.17.07 - Birmingham, AL
9) Intentions Clear - 7.19.07 - Detroit Lakes, MN
10) Ringo - 10.16.07 - Richmond, VA
11) Nemo - 11.15.07 - Charlotte, NC
12) What is Jimmy Stewart?
1) Nemo - 4.03.07 - Iowa City, IA
2) The Bottom Half - 5.25.07 - Chillicothe, IL
3) JaJunk - 7.19.07 - Detroit Lakes, MN
4) In the Kitchen - 12.01.07 - Ann Arbor, MI
5) Bridgeless - 4.14.07 - Washington, D.C.
6) Bridgeless - 4.20.07 - Columbus, OH
7) In the Kitchen - 7.28.07 - Hampton Beach, NH
8) Phil's Farm - 4.14.07 - Washington, D.C.
9) Padgett's Profile - 3.24.07 - Minneapolis, MN
10) The Haunt - 11.09.07 - Bloomington, IN
11) Eat - 2.17.07 - San Francisco, CA
12) Higgins - 12.29.07 - Chicago, IL
13) Intentions Clear - 3.23.07 - Minneapolis, MN
Jimmy Stewart 2007 is a collection of the year's best improvisational forays sequenced for optimal consumption.
As Umphrey's McGee's sound evolves, each live performance is increasingly a showcase for their "Jimmy Stewart" approach of structured improvisation. At over 100 shows a year, the band delves into these spontaneous compositions, engaging their fans as they feed off each other's energy.
The process begins at times with a riff crafted from a personal demo; other occasions as a scribbled chord progression on the back of a paper plate, though most often these foundations germinate on the spot. From humble melodic beginnings, each segment develops measure by measure, layer by layer as all six members lock into a cohesive structure. Often times, this newly minted section may yield -- in anticipation of its return -- to the creation of a companion section.
A Zappa-inspired language of body gestures and hand-signals allow the band to break structure while creating an entirely new section in tandem. Their focus on melodic development and group interplay allows for each section to develop organically until the multi-part extemporaneous composition has matured into a new piece of music.
This composition intensive mentality allows these experimentations to be re-visited in future performances and in their songwriting. Songs such as Bridgeless, Ocean Billy and Intentions Clear are among those that developed from these improvisations.
Originally, "Jimmy Stewart" stood apart fom the songs in a manner that was formulated into the setlists. Now they have become a fluid part of every performance, allowing any song to be a source of creation, as their fans anticipate the next journey.
Bradley — 10/23/2015 9:55:18 AM
Chappy — 6/17/2008 8:48:42 PM
"Nice job, McL. This is a sweet ride. "
kabumph — 6/17/2008 9:50:15 AM
"may 2007 be the year of the e-drum"
Start a free trial now to get unlimited streaming of professionally mixed audio and high-quality video. Paid subscribers get access to exclusive livestreams and more.