Van Andel Arena
Grand Rapids, MI
Nov 9, 2009
Stream This Show
- Professionally mixed soundboard audio
- Full-concert video archives available on-demand
- Complimentary exclusive livestreams
- Discounts on paid livestreams, CDs, and Downloads
* This was the 110th show on the World Magnetic Tour and the 84th performance in 2009.
* This was the ninth time that Metallica performed in Western Michigan and the third time that they performed in Grand Rapids.
* Metallica last performed in Grand Rapids on April 29, 2004 during the Madly in Anger With the World Tour. You can download a copy of that show here.
* Metallica first performed in Western Michigan on February 3, 1985 during the Ride the Lightning Tour.
* This was the eighth time that For Whom the Bell Tolls was performed on this leg of the North American tour that began on September 14th. It was last played on October 31, 2009 in Ottawa.
* This was the first time in 18 years that The Four Horsemen was performed in Western Michigan. It was last played in the region on November 1, 1991 in Muskegon.
* This was the third time that The Four Horsemen was performed on this leg of the North American tour. Since this leg of the tour began in Nashville, it was played in Dallas, Charlotte, and Quebec City.
* This was the first time 16 years that The Unforgiven was performed in Western Michigan. It was last played in the region on January 22, 1993 in Kalamazoo.
* This was the sixth time that The Unforgiven was performed on this leg of the North American Tour.
* This was only the second performance of My Apocalypse in the US. It was previously played on October 17, 2009 in Charlottesville, VA.
* This was the second time that Fight Fire With Fire was performed in Western Michigan. It was first played on February 3, 1985 in Kalamazoo, MI. Also, the outro of the song was pinned to the end of Seek & Destroy when the band played Grand Rapids on February 15, 1997 during the Poor Touring Me Tour.
* This was the fifth time that Fight Fire With Fire was performed on this leg of the North American Tour. It was last played on October 26, 2009 in Toronto.
* This was the first time that a cover of Killing Joke’s The Wait was performed in Western Michigan. However, it was not the first time that the song was played in the state of Michigan as it was played in Detroit at the State Theatre on November 20, 1998.
* This was the second performance of The Wait on this leg of the North American Tour.
* This was the first time that Hit the Lights was performed in Western Michigan and the fourth time that the song was played on this leg of the North American Tour.
* In addition to the Ride the Lightning and Madly in Anger… tours, Metallica also performed in Western Michigan on the Damage, Inc. Tour (July 19, 1985 - Battle Creek), Damaged Justice Tour (April 14, 1989 – Battle Creek and July 1, 1989 - Mears), the Wherever We May Roam Tour (November 1, 1991 – Muskegon and January 22, 1993 - Kalamazoo), the Summer Shit Tour (June 24, 1994 – Ionia) and the Poor Touring Me Tour (February 15, 1997 – Grand Rapids)
* Metallica performed 18 songs tonight from 7 different albums: Kill ‘Em All (3 songs), Ride the Lightning (2 songs), Master of Puppets (1 song), ...And Justice for All (1 song), The Black Album (4 songs), Garage, Inc. (1 song), and Death Magnetic (6 songs)
* Metallica played 8 songs for the first time in Western Michigan: That Was Just Your Life, The End of the Line, Broken, Beat & Scarred, Cyanide, My Apocalypse, The Day That Never Comes, The Wait, and Hit the Lights
* Metallica played 10 songs that have been played multiple times Western Michigan: For Whom the Bell Tolls (7 times), The Four Horsemen (2 times), One (7 times), Sad But True (5 times), The Unforgiven (2 times), Master of Puppets (8 times), Fight Fire With Fire (1 time), Nothing Else Matters (4 times), Enter Sandman (5 times), and Seek & Destroy (8 times)
Setlist at Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI on Nov 9, 2009
Start a free trial now to get unlimited streaming of professionally mixed audio and high-quality video. Paid subscribers get access to exclusive livestreams and more.